POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : VFAQ question : Re: VFAQ question Server Time
7 Aug 2024 15:16:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: VFAQ question
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 6 Sep 2001 08:03:34
Message: <3B976698.D4759AF2@inapg.inra.fr>
Tom Melly wrote:

> Okay. So its the right answer to the wrong question.... The implication is that
> the two methods will produce identical results. The only time that this is true
> (non-trans. surfaces), union is invariably faster. For all other uses, you may
> as well ask, "Which is more useful? Chalk or cheese?"

I second that. One additional problem is that the doc (6.5.6.5) states that "merge
is slower rendering than union so it should only be used when it is really
necessary". But later the VFAQ says that "A very common allegation is that "merge
is always slower than union". This statement is not true." Looks like the doc is
picking fights with itself. Talk about schizophrenia... :)

G.

--

http://www.oyonale.com